The Poems That I Wrote
Imagine having to write a poem in English when you’re not a poet–you’re not even good at writing poetry in your native language, and the poem must contain 50 words telling a short story! That was the assignment given by Alan Maley, a British poet who, at the time of this writing, has been involved in English Language Teaching (ELT) for 55 years. I can still vividly remember struggling to write such a poem in addition to a nine-word “diamond-shaped” poem during a poetry workshop conducted by Maley at the International Conference on English Language Teaching 2013 at Equatorial Hotel Melaka, Malaysia. I must say that Professor Alan Maley was excellent at coaching us all–his workshop participants. That was eight years ago.
At this point in time, under Malaysia’s Third Movement Control Order (MCO 3.0) during the COVID-19 pandemic, I’m staying at home recalling the aforementioned poems whose soft copies were stored on a couple of hard drives a few years back; one of them is now broken–not a single file can be retrieved.
It’s a good thing I managed to recover the fifty-word anecdote-like poem and the nine-word “diamond-shaped” poem from one of my external hard drives. I’m glad I still have them in a Microsoft Word document. Here are the poems!
A
Fly in the Soup
by Zulkifli Hashim, 20 November 2013
A sophisticated lady
cringes at a fly in her soup
in a posh restaurant
which is no better
than a humble-looking eatery.
With contempt and disgust,
she watches the fly
moving around in her soup.
She asks the waiter what it’s doing.
To the waiter, it’s drowning
or even mocking.
Practice
by
Zulkifli Hashim, 20 November 2013
Practice
doesn't
really
make
perfect but
perfect
practice
does.
Yes, the poem “A Fly in
the Soup” was intended to be universally satirical. It still is. As for the
poem “Practice”, of course you know those many well-known quotable quotes (about
practice), based on which I wrote it.
It's 2021 now, but for some reason, I've started exploring the wonders of English poetry more deeply amidst the mysteries of the coronavirus pandemic that scientists have begun to unravel by the Will of Allah.
- Zulkifli Hashim, Kuala Lumpur

very useful sharing. Thank you teacher Zul
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! 😊
DeleteSo enlightening... way to go teacher Zul
ReplyDeleteThanks! 😊
Delete